Monday, November 12, 2007

Keeping Christ in Christmas

So, I have been complaining about my kids ever growing Christmas list. It seems every time we go to a store or see a magazine its "I want this" or "Can Santa get me this". Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thomas trains, leapster games, skateboards, the list goes on and on. I have always wanted Christmas to be about Christ and not Santa focused. But here we are a month away from Christmas and we are completely focused on Santa. How do I get my kids to realize the true meaning of Christmas. I find myself asking the question, "Where are they getting this from?"



Certainly not from me right. I am Christ Centered during the holiday. Well, the more I thought about it, the more I realized they are learning it from me. I had a list a mile long for Jason of things I wanted this year. He never gets it right unless I give him a specific list. This years list included a Coach Bag, gift cards for clothes, perfume, with the ability to change it if I see something different I like. All a bunch of meaningless stuff. Sound familiar.



Then I went to a friends presentation on her Mission trip to South Africa. She retold countless stories of children and adults dying of AIDS and being alone. I found myself crying as she told story, after story of holding a baby who was terminally ill with no one to care for them. But that is in Africa, and it seems so far away and what can I really do. She made such a profound statement that it changed my whole way of thinking. "We can make a difference. They do so much with so little, and we do so little with so much". Talk about a rude awakening.



So this Holiday Season I will be an example to my children. No Coach Bag, No perfume. I will spend both time and money showing those that need it most Christ through my actions. A local Christian shelter called the Samaritan Inn needs food, clothing, and toys for the many children they house. I will be giving all I can this holiday season and the next Mission trip to South Africa that I have the opportunity to take I will be on.

My Children will see the true meaning of Christmas this year through the person who influences them the most. ME!

2 comments:

Julie said...

good word. Have you heard of GLOW kids? I think it originated in Texas. http://glowkidsonline.com/index.html

Denise said...

Amie,

I really do enjoy reading all the funny things the kids are doing. I have finally sent off Chandlers gift. Bad Grannie.

I strive hard to keep Christ in my everyday life and to teach by example.

Love you much.

California Mom